avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <l...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] De-Instrument Fortress, Pool (was: RE: Problem with asynchronous disposing in fortress)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:43:44 GMT

> + I don't think that a supposedly production-quality package such as
>   Fortress should be dependent on something as flaky as Instrument.

The instrument package esp the code in instrument.jar is actually quite
stable and has been in use for
quite some time.

Berin merged the 3 indstrument projects into a single package a couple
weeks ago and there have
been some build problems that were caused by that because the projects
were not being built in
the correct order.  There may also have been some problems with Fortress
over the last couple
days as I have been doing a lot of work there.

The errors you were seeing were clearly not Instrument errors, they were
simple class not found
errors.  Which usually means that a jar is missing.  So the question is
why isnt the pool project
finding the instrument jars when it is being built.  That had been
working for months.

I was able to get the full excalibur build working last night from a
clean build without any problems.
Where are you seeing the errors?  Only in GUMP? or from a manual build.
  Most likely the problems
are simple misconfiguration of gump.

Sorry for all the problems, I had not realized that GUMP was failing
because of this.

I just checked again, the latest failure is still because Cocoon is
missing or something.
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/jakarta-avalon-excalibur.html
[java] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/cocoon/Main

Where is it that you are seeing the failures?

I looked at the gump.xml but there isn't even a reference to fortress in
there.  The "excalibur-pool"
project entry is correctly depending on instrument.  Looking at the
dependencies of the instrument
project they were wrong up until the changes that I made yesterday.  So
that should also be fine
with just framework and altrmi.

I am not seeing the problem from what you posted.

Leif