avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extensible Lifecycle Requirements
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 05:32:16 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>>
>>Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>

>>>Let me ask you something?  If I say "phase", and in your mind
>>>you think "stage", and vice versa it doesn't matter?
>>>

>>Mother: I think it's just a phase.
>>Doctor: This is a completely normal stage in adolescence.
>>Child: Are you guys talking about me?
>>

>Unlike the example you just gave, we are using Phase and Stage
>as separate concepts.  Interchanging them willy nilly is not
>a good idea.
>
>If it really is going to cause issues with you to call a group
>of stages a Phase, then let's use Leo's suggestion.  Call the
>steps "stage" and the groups "stage groups".

Berin:

I'm not defining any term that dealing with a "group of stages"! I don't
have a problem with someone defining something that they call a phase
which happens to be a collection of stages - that's ok - no problem.
Honestly, I don't understand why you are hung up on this!  If I
understand correctly, your objection concerns my usage of the word
"phase" because this (to you) represents a collection of stages and you
will like to infer this notion to every usage of the term (something I'm
not keen on).  My problem with that is that there is absolutely nothing
in the term "phase" that implies a collection. In fact I think this
notion of phase == stage[] is artificial and inconsistent if you dig
into the English language definition.  I'm totally ok with the idea that
you use the name phase to refer to "a collection of stages" within a
relevant context.  However, what your attempting to do is redefine the
English language definition of a term.

I've already provided a bunch of details on why phase and stage are
appropriate within the scope and  context I'm dealing with so I will not
repeat this again here. Instead - lets turn this around - can you please
provide me with concrete grammatical arguments to reinforce you position.

Cheers, Steve.

(who would be much more interested in getting on with finalization of
the lifecycle extension interfaces, moving onto the declaration of
lifestyle policy, getting meta-data validation tests in place, preparing
a meta-data DTD, enhancing error management, putting in additional stuff
on kernel management, and preparing for a alpha release)

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy