avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extensible Lifecycle Requirements
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 02:46:40 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>>
>>Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>

>>>Which is 180 degrees from what terminology already existed.
>>>

>>Before making a decision on this I checked through the Fortress
>>documentation and javadoc and basically found occurances of
>>phase in one place and stage in another when refering to the
>>same subject.
>>

>This is an error in the documentation.  Can you point me to where it
>is?

If I come across something I'll drop you an email off-line - if your
really worried about it try crawling the javadoc in the sources and the
code documentation for the lifecycle stuff usage in Fortress (but just
between me and you - I think this is a storm in a tea cup and not worth
the effort - documentation in Fortress lifecycle stuff is consistent and
makes sence - documentation in Merlin is consitent and makes sence -
Merlin distinguish phases from stages at the API which does not occur in
Fortress.

>>Consulting dictionaries on the topic was not a absolute source of
>>clarification, however - I settled on "phase" and "stage" on
>>the grounds
>>of the following definition from the Merriaum Websters dictionary:
>>
>>  STAGE:
>>
>>  - a period or step in a progress, activity, or development;
>>    especially : one of the distinguishable periods of growth and
>>    development of a plant or animal b : one passing through a
>>    (specified) stage
>>

>hense the defined steps by the interfaces.

Sorry - disagree.

To me a stage implies something ordered ("stage 1 completed, commencing
stage 2").

Given a lifecycle interface (e.g. Exploitable) - in isolaltion you don't
have any idea about its ordering to other lifecycle interfaces - given a
interface handler, you do have information about the interaction points
that the handler needs to participate in - but no informaiton about its
ordering with respect to other handlers.  The interaction points are the
well know stages in the component management process.  These stages are
immutable and ordered (CREATE, ACCESS, RELEASE, DESTRORY).  Its not
until you get to the type defintion that you start to see anything
related to sequencing of a lifecycle extension handler, and even then
its independent of the handler.  The only thing you can say about an
extension and its handler is that it introduce a difference in behaviour
from the norm (which seems really consistent with the Webster defintion
of phase).

>>  PHASE:
>>
>>  - an individual or subgroup distinguishably different in appearance
>>    or behavior from the norm of the group to which it belongs
>>

>Meaning a group of steps, or stages.

Sorry - I really don't get the translation you have supplied.
The Webster defintion talks about "an individual or subgroup
distinguishably different" and your translating that to mean "group of
steps, or stages" .... ummm?  Bottom line - when we are talking about
lifecyle phases, stages, steps, I think we all understand what we are
talking about.  When we are talking about component management stages we
tend to qualify what we are talking about so its clear to the audience -
I will use the word stage when I'm taking about something that is well
known, probably has a specific order in a sequence.  I will use the
phase when talking about soemthing more abstract.  Let's not get hung up
on this. When I'm thinking about lifecycle extensions in the abstract
they will conceptual phases - when I apply that phase I may want to
refer to it as a stage becuase I have placed it in a context with order,
sequence, etc. When a developer creates a lifecycle extension they don't
have notions of sequence or order of application - as such they are
building something which will represent a phase in the lifecycle of a
component. The developer does know about some specific component
management lifecycle stages that represent interaction points between a
container, itself and a target component.  As such, the term stage  is
correctly used here - its referencing well-know ordered entry points
defined by a container. When a developer build a type with lifecycle
extension depedencies, they are still talking in terms of phases because
they are not in control of the big picture.  The developer can say - "I
need a handler for this phase".  When we get into the actual execution
of this stuff - the container can take extensions, map them to phase
handler depedencies, and apply these handlers at the specific stages it
is controlling in the component management lifecycle.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL