avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: status of doc generation
Date Sun, 04 Aug 2002 15:02:48 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 07:02, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>>* Simple task to call so I can have different pipelines (changes vs
>>>normal document vs faqs) work.
>>
>>We are discussing on how to make the user enhance the system using
>>mounted pipelines.
>>Given that Forrest already has enhanced FAQ, TODO, CHANGES DTDs, for the
>>moment it should be enough, and we can always discuss and insert new
>>DTDs in Forrest quite quickly, given that they are general enough (which
>>  is generally the case).
>
> kool.

Yup, and is also a big help for us :-)

>>>* I want to be able to include/exclude files based on ant
>>>includes/ecludes
>>
>>Since Cocoon crawles the docs, IMHO it basically means that you want
>>Cocoon not to proceed crawling on certain url patterns... can be done,
>>but could you please tell me the use, it's not clear to me.
>
> I don't want cocoon to crawl at all ;)

Maybe I will delude you ;-) but Cocoon can generate using a file with a
list of links basically since day one of the Cocoon CLI.
Nobody really liked it much though.

> I find it much easier to
> include/exclude things explicitly using ant include/exclude. Then I can work
> out exactly which pages will be transformed without worrying whether the
> links to all pages a re present.

This can be done by making an html page that contains all the pages you
want to generate as html links, or specify Cocoon not to crawl the links
further with a CLI option.

Anyway, CLI was made not to stop on dead links but to warn and make a
404 page instead, something that somehow has been broken or ages and
that I'm gonna fix very soon.

>>>* I want to be able to have all the links in menu to be relative to base
>>>of site, not base of page they are in. SO I can put docs in bdg/foo.xml
>>>and has all links work gracefully
>>
>>This is more an implementation request than a feature request...
>>as per feature, IMHO it boils down to the fact that in nested books we
>>do ../../..etc to reference parent books, which IMNSHO really sucks...
>>
>>Any suggestion from Forresters? This is a tipical URI-space problem,
>>suggestions?
>
> Anakias project.xml file has the links that are relative to the base project
> dir start with a "/" if that helps any.

BTW, there is a new Transformer that augments links:

     <map:transform type="augment">
       <map:parameter name="mount" value="samples/flow/"/>
     </map:transform>

Anyway, this is a task for libre, we need to get it right, guys!
Come on private Gump, get the toothbrush! ;-)

>>>* I want no dates or build specific data to be stored in generated docs
>>>(because causes pain when updating online docs).
>>
>>Sorry, I don't get this. Could you elaborate more?
>

> Essentially theres a few tools that add something like
>
> <!-- Created by Cocoon on 15'th Dec 1987 -->
>
> on end of page. Not sure if cocoon does it or not. The problem with this is of
> course that almost every page will be different if the site is regenerated
> but many of the changed files would only have a different date if you know
> what I mean.

Right.
Cocoon does it only if an option is set, and Forrest deosn't use it, so
it should be all ok.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -