avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Maven as an Avalon container (Re: Maven, notes from XtC with James Strachan and Vincent Massol)
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:18:15 GMT
On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 08:35:36PM -0400, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> I can keep making Avalon project descriptors, help others make them,
> help with a forrest plugin if that's what you would prefer to use for
> your docs and I will help keep them updated.

FYI, I have a basic Forrest plugin working. It is *very* basic though,
and not yet configurable through ${maven.*} properties. Most of the work
involves fixing Forrest Ant scripts.

A random thought wrt. Maven and Avalon: imagine if Maven had an embedded
Avalon container (phoenix or something), with which plugins could
register Components to be deployed (eg phoenix .sars). This could have a
number of uses:

 - Heavy plugins like Forrest could use a client/server architecture. Eg,
   the Forrest plugin deploys a 'server' component (Cocoon), and then
   when the user says 'maven forrest:transform', an RMI request is made
   to the server: "render directory X". Saves lots of startup time.

 - One could have 'asynchronous' Maven targets, eg a plugin that scans
   xdocs/* every 5s, and regenerates any docs that change, or a
   nightly-build plugin, or other continuous integration-type things like
   Gump.

This could possibly be implemented with an 'avalon' plugin, plus a Jelly
taglib for invoking, deploying and undeploying Components. Plugins can
then use the jelly taglib to launch whatever stateful components they
want.

As the subject says, just a RT..

--Jeff