avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DTD compat -- red herring?
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:31:00 GMT
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:57, Leo Simons wrote:
> It has been shown that there is need for additional non-standard
> lifecycle stages to <insert requirment here> write some components. To
> keep these components portable across containers, the code that supports
> the extension should also be portable across containers. To make that
> happen we indeed need to make sacrifices, mainly feature flexibility.

So you believe that lowering of quality is good long term strategy.
Interesting ...

I remember also thinking that way when I stopped arguing about
ComponentSelector, Component marker interface or those
ThreadSafe/Poolable/Other marker interfaces. Now everyone generally thinks
they are blights. So you think it was great idea to do that?

> > ANd would you mandate that it be
> > added into all containers or that containers could not implement it using
> > alternative strategies?
>
> nah. It just seems to me that "the most simple solution that could
> possibly work, in 90% of cases" would be nice to have in the framework.

If we followed that rule, ECM would be in framework CVS. That would be great
would it not?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald