avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DTD compat -- red herring?
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:07:33 GMT
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:39, Leo Simons wrote:
> > I remember quite a few people remarking how Component marker interface
> > was a good idea, or ComponentSelector was a great idea, or that all the
> > Poolable, Threadsafe etc interfaces were good ideas. Is this idea good in
> > the same way?
>
> what is your argument? That because some people at some point about
> something mentioned it was a good idea where it was not means me stating
> something else is a good idea also means it is not?
>
> > I think a little wider testing is needed before you could adopt it.
>
> I feel safe adopting the idea that a common pluggable facility
> architecture is a good idea =)

You are free to do whatever you want. If it as all good as you seem to believe
I am sure people will flock to it. Personally I believe that in time you will
find yourself needing to change the API for different demands.

> > JEdit is a specific container, Axis is a specific container - have you
> > got any examples apart from CORBA where there is a common API for
> > extending servers?
>
> nah. In fact, apart from CORBA, I can't think of a common API that
> really facilitates clean reuse across servers...except avalon.

Servlets?

> So there is an ample supply of examples of projects with clean, similar,
> pluggable architectures, yet you feel it is impossible to extract the
> common ground between them?

Because as soon as you start to define the interface to server plugins rather
than client contracts you start making tradeoffs. Compare TC3 vs TC4s notion
of pluggable interceptors - which is "better"? TC3 is better in some
situations (easier to use, manage and develope, especially when there is
large numbers of intersection points for a particular concern) and TC4 is
better in other situations (potentially better performing, uses indirection
to allow non-linear chains).

So tell me? Which in your wisdom is better? ANd would you mandate that it be
added into all containers or that containers could not implement it using
alternative strategies?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald