avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject DTD compat -- red herring?
Date Sun, 18 Aug 2002 13:51:10 GMT
On Sunday 18 August 2002 06:15 am, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Consider the following three DTDs:
>

>                             type       blockinfo     containerkit
>
>   name                      yes        yes           yes
>   version                   yes        yes           yes
>   component attributes      yes        no            yes
>   services                  yes        yes           yes
>   service attributes        yes        no            yes
>   depedencies               yes        yes           yes
>   dependecy attributes      yes        no            yes
>   context criteria          yes        no            yes
>   context attributes        yes        no            yes
>   stage depedenciers        yes        no            no
>   stage attributes          yes        no            no
>   extension declarations    yes        no            no
>   extension attributes      yes        no            no
>

> Using the Type DTD you can define a component what can be validated by
> any container.  You can deploy that component in any container in the
> knowlege that you will get a validation failure if you try to load
> something that a container does not support.  Support is a container
> issue - interoperability is a subject of the DTD.  The DTD is not bound
> to the API.

I think I may see pdonald's object to type support in Phoenix... *MAY*...

Why support loading a DTD that is not fully utilized? If a component is
cross-container, shouldn't it have the lowest-common-denominator DTD to
enable full portability vs having a richer DTD and the possiblity of a
container rejecting the component due to unsupported features?

Ok, we modify Phoenix to read the Type DTD, but what good does that do us if
all components that have that DTD use the features that Phoenix does not
support? What benefit do those components get from the richer DTD if they do
not utilize its features?

Is the DTD compatibility a red herring?

imho, we need to resolve the 4 no's that exist between containerkit and type.

Steve: I'm unsure of what the "extensions" are. Stage's are the lifecycle
extensions, yes? If so how to extensions fit in?

Pete:  You describe some "hairy" problems
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=102833233625631&w=2), but we
can work through them, yes?

Collectively we are a very smart bunch and can figure anything out.

Any one final thought, PLUR
(http://www.hyperreal.org/raves/spirit/plur/PLUR.html, to show my roots :) ..
and it *is* apache related.. brian behlendorf started hyperreal..
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org