avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: All committers please read -> Bad Karma is happening.
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:04:33 GMT
On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 03:22:31PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >+1 on peace, lurrve and understanding. But that's kinda hard to enforce..
> >
> >The definition of -1, from http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html,
> >says that "no veto can be overruled", and that the vetoee's only recourse
> >is to "lobby the person who cast the veto". Tough luck if they prove
> >lobby-resistant.
>
> But also:
>
> "All vetos must contain an explanation of why the veto is appropriate.
> Vetos with no explanation are void."

No quality of explanation is required though. "A little green leprechaun
told me to" is perfectly valid. Nor is it required that the explanation
be defended. Sad but true :P

> This is an option to consider.
> It's about the rules4revolutionaries thinking.
> But it always brings to fractures in the community, see the Tomcat 3/4
> story.

And thank goodness that Tomcat 3 was not quashed, as many wanted it to
be. I really enjoy using 3. It's about twice as fast on startup as 4.

> I think that Phoenix is an very good program.
> I think that Fortress and Merlin have a very good potential.
> I'm sure that the multiple avalon repositories are a serious problem for
> Avalon, because they fracture the community instead of keeping it together.
>
>  I don't like that Peter Donald thinks that Phoenix is "his code".
>
> If Stefano taught me something, is that code in CVS is just of all, not
> of the original committer.

Well, if experience has taught me anything, it's that 5% of people do 95%
of the work in OSS. Bill Gates could wipe out OSS with relatively few
well-chosen assasinations :) Consequently, I'm for solutions that do not
hinder that 5%. So +1 for branching and bugger the community ;)

<ducks, runs, heads off to bed>

--Jeff