avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: All committers please read -> Bad Karma is happening.
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:06:54 GMT
+1 on peace, lurrve and understanding. But that's kinda hard to enforce..

The definition of -1, from http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html,
says that "no veto can be overruled", and that the vetoee's only recourse
is to "lobby the person who cast the veto". Tough luck if they prove
lobby-resistant.

If it were my changes being vetoed by some complete bastard ;) I'd route
around the problem. Commit the changes to a branch, and bring up the
issue at another time. Add a README.txt to the project root, saying "Hey,
there's this FOO branch where I've been committing stuff that committer P
doesn't agree with.  Come play if you like". Imagine: if *everyone*
agrees with you, eventually only the vetoer will be left on the CVS head,
developing in isolation. And when the finally crack, it's only one CVS
command to make another branch the head.

The HALF_BRANCHING.txt file in Excalibur CVS describes how to branch just
a few files, and create a script that allows others to easily adopt your
branch.

As a solution, it's inferior to P,L & U, but better than simply
disregarding the rules about vetos, or giving up and abandoning Avalon.

--Jeff