avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing excalibur subprojects
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:32:49 GMT
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:26, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:09, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > > can someone give me a hint on what's the procedure to release a
> > > subproject? Is a vote necessary?
> >
> > There is no real formal process for release. Usually it is lazy
> > consensus for
> > components that are already released so just state intentions and unless
> > anyone objects go for it.
>
> Ok, but what does 'go for it' mean? Where do I put the dists, do we
> have bin and src dists etc. Or is this a matter of the subproject as well?

oh that.

* Update jakarta-avalon-site CVS with new docs.
* create distribution (I usually create a single distribution for excalibur
components and include src in src.zip inside a "binary distribution).

Ideally a distribution would look like

foo-1.0/README.txt
foo-1.0/LICENSE.txt
foo-1.0/docs/**
foo-1.0/src.zip (the source for foo)
foo-1.0/foo-1.0.jar
foo-1.0/foo-all-1.0.jar (contains foo and its dependencies)
foo-1.0/lib/baz-2.3.jar (contains jars foo is dependent upon)

(The last two jars may be optional depending on personal preference).

> > One thing
> > I would like
> > to see is for sourceresolve to be upgraded so that components do not
> > implement Component interface however that requires changes to cocoon
> > presumably ...
>
> Hmm, the only problem is the release() method of the component manager,
> were we would have to cast to Component for these components - this
> would not be an incompatible change as we did not release Cocoon
> with the sourceresolve package, but it's inconsistent - there are
> components were you have to cast and 95% you don't have to.
> What do others thing on this?

No I mean the whole package should not be using Component - instead Cocoon
should upgrade to Serviceable in all places possible ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald