avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Re: New Committer
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 12:54:24 GMT
On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:38:13PM +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 13:29, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > I ask you to reconsider.
> >
> > Committer status can be revoked.
>
> In theory. I haven't seen it happen. We're sloppy in that regard.

+1 on Leo chasing this up =)

> > I do not think a basic assumption of him being willing to participate
> > and an assumption of him being careful enough is too much of a leap
> > of faith.
>
> It is not about whether he is willing or capable. If we check in that
> code he submitted now, and he has for some reason no time/possibility to
> maintain it later, we have a dead horse sitting in CVS we have to
> support.

If it ends up a dead horse, why not just document it as such, move on,
and remove it some time in the future? I think we can do that, *if* the
code's true status has always been made clear to users, so there are no
false expectations.

> Making him a committer basically means no current committer has to take
> on the burden of maintaining that submission. It feels like that is one
> of the reasons behind this proposal, which I don't really like.

Practically, no-one does take responsibility for every corner of Avalon.
Everyone has their own little chunk. Given everyone's limited time, I
don't see how it could be otherwise. So I see no problem with giving
Yauheny his corner to play in. As long as the code status is always made
clear.

--Jeff