avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Baxter VS Modeler (was Re: How do we use Baxter?)
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2002 23:22:37 GMT
On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 06:39, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>From: Leo Simons [mailto:leosimons@apache.org]
> >>
> >>Take a look at phoenix, which integrates it. You can run it
> >>with the option '-manager' and this will give you the http
> >>interface (I think, dunno whether the setup has changed
> >>recently). Also see recent threads on phoenix-dev; a GUI
> >>client is in the works.
> >>
> >>I suspect by the time your book is published the GUI will be
> >>something that is easy enough to install and look at for end users.
> >>
> >>IMO (and the O of some others), all you want to do is declare
> >>"export this for management" in some policy file and then
> >>have all the JMX stuff handled for you automagically.
>
> I've been recently been contacted privately about Baxter in the
> scope of the Avalon->Commons repositioning of some Excalibur packages.
>
> I don't know a zip about it (yet), but it seems to overlap somehow with
> Modeler http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/modeler.html
>
> Any advice?

They are probably very similar. Baxter deals with DynamicMBeans atm rather
than ModelMBeans but will deal with ModelMBeans when we end up moving Huws
work back into it.

However I haven't looked at Modeller properly (at all) yet, will try to do so
some time soon.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
'Most men would rather die than think. Many do.'
                             Bertrand Russell