avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] .NET implementation of Avalon framework.
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 08:44:38 GMT
On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:01, Leo Simons wrote:
> I don't think I will be doing anything with C# for some while (I'll wait
> for mono 1.0 I guess) so I certainly wouldn't be working/voting on any
> of it. I'm sure more people feel like that. Then, sometimes, maintaining
> a port is more work than just slowly diverging. I can see how Avalon 4
> C# would not include Component, for example.

I don't see that as a problem. As long as the ideas are similar I think it is
better to work in the framework of a particular language. For instance C# has
attribute based programming builtin to the language but java does not ;( As a
result we will most likely end up using an attribute based preprocessor (like
XDoclet) and Info classes (ala BeanInfo).

I like frameworks that are bound to their environments. ie Compare RMI vs
CORBA in ease of use, integration and all that. RMI wins hands down as it was
designed with java runtime and features in mind. Or compare W3C DOM vs JDOm
and ask yourself which you prefer to use. Cross language APIs rarely great in
all their invocations.

The exception being command driven or data driven APIs. And the only cross
language API that I can think of that I actually like is OpenGL (and
friends). And that is mainly as it is data driven by necessity (interacting
with hardware which maintains its own memory generally encorages this).

> I'd also like an explicit statement from the PMC that they're okay with
> this (though I'm sure that if the board is, they should be too =).

We don't need it. The PMC only steps in with legal or community resolutions
are needed - their prime purpose is to support the committers so no
permission is needed.

Even said that the way I originally became aware of this was because of mails
that were posted on the PMC list. Also note that the PMC Head (Sam) is chair
of a committe that aims to standardize parts of the CLR.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald