avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] pooling vs. release
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 15:32:06 GMT
On Thursday 01 August 2002 11:23 am, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> ...but I was more thinking non-limited pools that exists only to reduce
> object creations. Wouldn't it make sense there?

Berin's comments explain that one better than I...

> Thinking about limited pools... would it be cool to have a fall-back
> mechanism? Just a week ago it took me quite some time find out that a
> component did not release a jdbc connection.
>
> With this fallback mechanism I could immediatly have found in the log file
> something like "WARN: releasing unused component..." without testing the
> pool against it's limit.

this is a pilfered idea i read somewhere else.. maybe even on this list...

when a Connection is gotten from the pool, create a new Exception but don't
throw it. If a connection is gotten from the pool, used, and then not closed,
throw that exception upon finalization (which you should be able to force by
shutting the system down).

.. thats the rough idea..
-pete

--