avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Fwd: Newsletter - Request for content]
Date Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:03:29 GMT
Here's the contributed content for the upcoming jakarta newsletter from
the avalon project:

Probably the most exciting thing happening with avalon at the moment is
that a port to C# [1] is in the works! Initial concerns regarding
fitting C# into a java project were quickly satisfied, and the people
working on the port were happily welcomed in. Some very interesting
material [2] is now appearing in CVS...

Some of the discussion on avalon-dev got pretty heated [3] this month.
Efforts to improve interoperability between the various avalon
containers [4] led to long discussions about some of the design choices
made [5]. We are still confident this is all for the better in the end,
though. We hope to make it possible to share components between cocoon,
james, turbine, ant, and other projects completely transparantly.

Finally, some avalonians are getting pretty exited as the avalon phoenix
subproject [6] is getting closer and closer to a final release. This
will (among other things) help satisfy the requests we have been getting
[7] from programmers that are desperately trying to convince their
bosses that Phoenix is a Good Thing.

Make sure to read the next few newsletters to find out how the avalon
developers resolve their container interoperability 'wars' and also
learn why C# is (or isn't) really cool new technology.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=102823180701713&w=2
[2] cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-avalon-excalibur/csframework/
[3] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=102957399421271&w=2
[4] jakarta.apache.org/avalon/framework/reference-containers.html
[6] jakarta.apache.org/phoenix/

regards (and thanks again for your effort =),

Leo Simons