avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Maven as an Avalon container (Re: Maven, notes from XtC with James Strachan and Vincent Massol)
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:35:52 GMT
On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 18:09, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:18, Jeff Turner wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 08:35:36PM -0400, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >
> > > I can keep making Avalon project descriptors, help others make them,
> > > help with a forrest plugin if that's what you would prefer to use for
> > > your docs and I will help keep them updated.
> >
> > FYI, I have a basic Forrest plugin working. It is *very* basic though,
> > and not yet configurable through ${maven.*} properties. Most of the work
> > involves fixing Forrest Ant scripts.
>
> Kool - want to send it to the list so we can see how it looks ? ;)
>
> > A random thought wrt. Maven and Avalon: imagine if Maven had an embedded
> > Avalon container (phoenix or something), with which plugins could
> > register Components to be deployed (eg phoenix .sars). This could have a
> > number of uses:
>
> Theres two things in the above;
>
> 1. a server that kicks of a maven process after certain events - whether they
> be time based, based on changes in external environment or due to messages
> from external processes

This is where Drools and Werkflow come in. Zenplex hired Bob McWhirter
for a while to get Werkflow going and Bob has subsequently been working
on Drools and Werkflow. So we'll be integrating a real workflow system
based a real rules engine that uses the RETE algorithm. It's described
here:

http://www.drools.org/pdf/drools-guide.pdf

None of the other OSS workflow packages that I know of use a real rules
engine.

> 2. Each maven process allows dynamic addition of services to runtime as a
> means of extensions
>
> Both are very useful things. (2) will in effect allow you to integrate into
> virtually any command/processes based activity. Someone told me that they
> used myrmidon to control their home stereo system by adding a special service
> in ;)
>
> >  - Heavy plugins like Forrest could use a client/server architecture. Eg,
> >    the Forrest plugin deploys a 'server' component (Cocoon), and then
> >    when the user says 'maven forrest:transform', an RMI request is made
> >    to the server: "render directory X". Saves lots of startup time.
> >
> >  - One could have 'asynchronous' Maven targets, eg a plugin that scans
> >    xdocs/* every 5s, and regenerates any docs that change, or a
> >    nightly-build plugin, or other continuous integration-type things like
> >    Gump.
> >
> > This could possibly be implemented with an 'avalon' plugin, plus a Jelly
> > taglib for invoking, deploying and undeploying Components. Plugins can
> > then use the jelly taglib to launch whatever stateful components they
> > want.
> >
> > As the subject says, just a RT..
>
> kool one at that.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Peter Donald
> "Therefore it can be said that victorious warriors
> win first, and then go to battle, while defeated
> warriors go to battle first, and then seek to win."
>               - Sun Tzu, the Art Of War
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@apache.org