avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: where I'm going with avalon
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:20:50 GMT
> > Basically, I have a component in Merlin (well, I will have) that
> > currently does:
> >
> > socket = cm.lookup("socket.to.component.in.phoenix");
> > // ...
> > result = socket.createCall( myData ).execute();
> >
> > Where I would like it to do:
> >
> > comp = cm.lookup("component.in.phoenix");
> > result = comp.myDataMethod();
>
> AltRMI :) It has some trickery for same-JVM-different-classloaders that's
> quicker than sockets (right paul?)

it does (says so on the website).

How far along is AltRMI? I've tried to follow the discussions on and off
but the discussion generally is a bit difficult for me to follow.

http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/excalibur/altrmi

needs some simple docs for people with my use case and little knowledge
about remoting....

...I figure I need to do this:

<altrmiproxies genname="Hello" srcgendir="${build.home}/genjava"
    classgendir="${build.home}/classes2" verbose="true"
    interfaces="org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.test.TestInterface"
    additionalfacades="org.apache.excalibur.altrmi.test.TestInterface2">
<classpath>
<pathelement location="${build.home}/classes"/>
</classpath>
</altrmiproxies>

for my component.in.phoenix, add AltRMI into my .sar, but then, how do I
get to

> compAccessor = cm.lookup("component.in.phoenix.accessor");
>
> comp = compAccessor.getComponent();
> comp.doStuff();
> compAccessor.release( comp );

for the client?

Also it seems it would be even cooler to have an AltRMIComponentManager
so it is truly transparant on the client that I use AltRMI.....

cheers,

Leo