avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject where I'm going with avalon
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:41:32 GMT
All,

Merlin/Fortress will soon approach a time where it is usable in an
embedded environment. I am going to throw away my phoenix fork in favor
of that.

I will only be hosting full-fledged server applications in phoenix. The
main bits will be

- Servlet Engine (currently Catalina)
- E-mailer Engine (basically we've got a mail queue with velocity
processing built-in)
- Database Engine (work in progress, will probably take the form of a
pooled OJB or something like that)
- Store (work in progress, basically mini-webdav stuff)
- EOB (when it matures; until then servlets is the way)

The big added value of phoenix is that I can run these in a single VM
and that I get management/maintainance capabilities.

Organisation will be like

---------------------------------
|                               |
|           CLIENTS             |
|                               |
---------------------------------
 ^  ^  ^
 |  |  |
 |  |  |
 |  |  |
--------------------
| <<my apps>>      |<------some---protocol----------\
--------------------   |        |            |      |
| fortress         |   |        |            |      |
--------------------   |        |            |      |
| merlin           |   |        |            |      |
-----------------------^--------^------------^------^--
| catalina         | emailer | database | store | eob |
| phoenix                                             |
| java                                                |

This as opposed to the current situation where I run phoenix within
catalina and everything in there.

When I get there, what I want is to eliminate the some---protocol and
have the inter-component communication flow through method calls (ie
ComponentManager). The problem I see is catalina.

It may be the only option is to write an avalon-based servlet engine to
do this neatly :/

anyways, comments would be nice =)

- Leo

Thoughts from y'all on this would be much appreciated =)