avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Re: New Committer
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 12:42:11 GMT
> > Making him a committer basically means no current committer
> > has to take on the burden of maintaining that submission. It
> > feels like that is one of the reasons behind this proposal,
> > which I don't really like.
>
> But we have already voted to include the code:
>
>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=102827170631499&w=2
>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=102825101220792&w=2
>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=102823253102512&w=2
>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=102823320703517&w=2

errr....you can interpret all that in many different ways. If current
committers were to say "let us put these sources in CVS and help
maintain them" rather than "I'd like this in avalon" that'd make things
a lot more clear.

> So him being a committer or not really does not factor in the
> dead-horse equation, except that as a non-committer it will be
> that much harder for him to maintain the code.

...except that Pete implicitly mentioned it (the dead-horse equation) as
a reason (at least I read it that way), and you then explicitly stated
it.

> I understand your reasons for -1 - these arguments are my final
> attempt at convincing you otherwise - but the jakarta guidelines
> are not always practical, and sometimes appear to be written for
> some organization that is not quite Jakarta-as-I-know-it, and thus
> there is justification for going outside of them.

I care primarily for the spirit behind the guidelines; not how they are
written down.

This thread has much ado with the recent discussion about the 'barrier
of entry' (think on jakarta-general) for the various projects. I think
we are already 'below average' (we have a low barrier I think, which is
good), and I feel that we really should try and keep things a little
similar to other subprojects.

Other concerns play as well; like PH comments on documentation wrt Huw's
committership that apply here as well.

> > There is too much code in the avalon cvses already.
>
> That is very true, but I think we went over the dynamics that
> caused this a while back. (Jakarta politics.)

that was about duplication in excalibur 'n stuff. We also have openorb
and avalondb, as examples =)

LSD