avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Baxter VS Modeler (was Re: How do we use Baxter?)
Date Sun, 04 Aug 2002 12:22:22 GMT
> > I don't know a zip about it (yet), but it seems to overlap somehow with
> > Modeler http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/modeler.html
> >
> > Any advice?
>
> They are probably very similar. Baxter deals with DynamicMBeans atm rather
> than ModelMBeans but will deal with ModelMBeans when we end up moving Huws
> work back into it.

my understanding as well.

IMO, priority is getting JMX support within phoenix working like we want
it to. When we do that (Huw, Peter et al are doing nice things), we
probably want to look into merging with existing efforts.

The thing is that there will probably always be parts specific to
avalon. If an avalon component provides an initialize() methods, we can
tie meaning to it that modeller can't (as it is not avalon-specific).

So baxter will stay; it could probably be refactored to work with
modeller though.

Modeller seems stable now and the docs are neat so who knows....

- LSD