avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Yauheny Mikulski" <for_...@infonet.by>
Subject Re: C# Avalon place and build system
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 17:46:14 GMT
Hi,

> The reason for this is mainly because I don't know much about C# at all.
By
> doing it this way I can get a feel for how things are going to look like.
> jakarta-avalon CVS is meant to be stable/rock solid which is why I am
> reluctent to put anything in there that is likely to be undergoing active
> development.

I see and I agree with you.
Let C# Avalon be in jakarta-avalon-excalibur till it is a stable one.

> What I would like to see something like the following.
>
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/csframework/build.xml (or whatever NAnt uses)
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/csframework/src/cs
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/csframework/src/tests
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/csframework/bin (Though I would prefer this to be
lib
> unless there is a strong precedent in C#)

No problem, I agree with internal project directory structure.

Note:
The directory bin must be. It's standart directory in C# projects.

> And then repeat the above with whatever excalibur parts you are
recreating. ie
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/csecm/**
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur/cspool/**
> etc.

I have to agree with you here cause I don't see any other wise ways to
organize
the code in jakarta-avalon-excalibur.

Best Regards,
    Yauheny Mikulski (Jeff).

[...]

WHen me (and the rest of the avalon committers) are more comfortable with
the
way things are we can merge csframework back into jakarta-avalon CVS.
However
I believe all the excalibur components should stay in excalibur CVS. Like?

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:54, Yauheny Mikulski wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'd like to consider the following problem:
> >On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:41, Henri Yandell wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone given any thought as to how to integrate a C# build system
> > into the current Java one? Is it just src/cSharp, where would unit tests
> > go etc.
>
> 1. CVS Directory Structure
>
> Before talking about build-system, I'd like to solve the problem
concerning
> to C# Avalon place in CVS.
>
> I consider, the best way is not to make a mess among JAVA and C# code so
> I think it's not a bad idea to do that way:
>
>  - Make directory  jakarta-avalon/src/cs  for C# Avalon in CVS.
>
>  - The CVS Directory structure might be:
>
>    jakarta-avalon/src
>
>                            | - java                  : java souces
>                                | - ...
>                            | - cs                     : C# sources
>                                | - apache
>                                    | - avalon       : C# Avalon Framework
>                                        | - bin        : library storage
>                                        | - src        : C# sources
>                                        | - test       : Avalon tests
>                                    | - excalibur   : C# Excalibur
>                                        | - bin
>                                        | - src
>                                        | - test
>                                | - build.xml       : C# Avalon build
system
>                                | - TODO.txt
>
> Notes:
> - bin directory  is the same as lib in Java. It's a library storage.
> - about build.xml see below.
>
> The rest seems to be clear.
>
> 2. Build System
>
> I think the C# Avalon Build System should be separated from JAVA one cause
> I don't see any solutions to use common build system for both
> implementations
> but I think we shouldn't do it.
>
> The NAnt ( .NET/C#  Ant implementation) is the best way to solve the
> problem.
> It works with the same build.xml file under the same rules and so on.
> But NAnt has its own tasks and, of course, Ant knows nothing about them.
>
> So the solution is:
>  - make separate build.xml for NAnt.
>  - select the tasks from Avalon Build System, that C# Avalon one needs
> only. - make the C# Avalon build system (concerning the task names)
similar

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald