avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter M. Goldstein" <peter_m_goldst...@yahoo.com>
Subject Logger question
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 16:59:48 GMT

All,

I've got a quick question about the contract implied by the Logger
interface.  As I read the Logger javadoc, there is no guarantee provided
by the Logger interface that the log levels supported by a logger are
constant over time.  That is, in theory it would be possible to have a
logger that logged at an info level from 9a-9p and a debug level from
9p-9a.  Is this interpretation correct?

This affects use of the Avalon framework because, if the above
interpretation is correct, caching whether a logger supported a
particular log level would be a bad idea.  This issue came up in recent
James discussions and I was just hoping someone on the Avalon list could
quickly clarify.  Thanks.

--Peter