avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Merlin Container
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:08:22 GMT
> From: Leo Sutic [mailto:leo.sutic@inspireinfrastructure.com]
>
> > From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
> >
> > Using this solution, and the images I supplied, if "child2"
> > was exposed as a management interface then it can be accessed
> > by "sub2", "child1", and "end".  However, none of the other
> > "sub"s would be able to see it. It forces you to be smart
> > about what you expose and where.
>
> Sounds OK. Use case: Using Merlin as root, but wanting to use a
> Phoenix-only component. Would like to put Phoenix in as a
> sub-container, but still be able to access the component I put in it:
>
>  Root (Merlin)
>    +--- Phoenix Embedded
>    |      |
>    |      +--- Component A
>    +--- Component B
>
> Component B should be able to see/use the service provided by
> Component
> A, and vice versa.

:/

I would say either make Component B hosted inside Phoenix as well,
or make Merlin able to handle the additional contracts with Component A.

With this arrangement, Component B would be able to see Phoenix and
Phoenix would be able to see Component B.  So indirectly, if Phoenix
did not isolate itself (because it was not designed for embedded use)
Component A could access Component B--but not vice versa.

There are two reasons for this:

1) Mutual dependencies of components on the other is generally a sign
   that you need to merge the components into one.  I.e. there is a
   design problem with the components.

2) You need to plan your container hierarchy up front.  Be deliberate
   about anything you expose.  Make sure you have a use case for the
   container hierarchy you have.

For both of those reasons you would have a hard time convincing me that
what you outlined is a ligitimate need.