avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [RT] pooling vs. release
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 17:16:51 GMT
> From: Torsten Curdt [mailto:tcurdt@dff.st]
>
> On Thursday 01 August 2002 19:07, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > > From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
> > >
> > > BTW, fillInStackTrace() is a native method (AKA a JNI method).
> >
> > oh yeah, it is synchronized as well.
> >
> > Creating tons of exceptions in a multithreaded environment is not
> > advised.
>
> well, a boolean should do it (see example) and the Exception
> could be created
> in finalize. Is there any other way a component could be
> aware of if it is
> used or not?
> --
> Torsten

I think you are asking the wrong question.  Should an entity that
is managed and controlled by an external force have any say in how
it is managed?  The answer to that is no, it violates COP principles.

Is this something that can be automagically added to any component
by a dynamic proxy without any maintenance necessary in the hundreds
of components we already have to maintain?  Yes.

Therefore, something like this should be an added feature of the
container--making security and tracking this type of issue easier
to maintain.

One thing that is already doable in Fortress is adding request/release
Instruments, and we can see if certain components are not being used
in a balanced manner.