avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Switching out Cocoon
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 12:58:37 GMT
Just to let you know, I did not change whether the individual projects
used Anakia or not--I merely changed the file that they used to generate
the menu.

I would like ot move forward in hacking Anakia AND Cocoon to use the
Document 1.1 and other DTDs from Forrest.  What is important to me (as
I have said many times before) is not the tool that does the generation,
but the markup used for it.  With a well formed and predictable markup,
things like Forrest, Cocoon, Anakia, WikiWorld, FooBar, or Rhinoplasty
can be used to generate the docs (in case you didn't get it, the last
three "tools" were jokes).

All we as developers/maintainers should care about is how to markup our
documents--and let whatever tool we use do the work.

For the record:

For pure HTML generation Cocoon has approached or come close to the
speed
of Anakia (I have had doc generation happen in less than 8-9 seconds for
the individual projects).  The thing that takes a _long_ time is the PDF
generation (i.e. the "Developing with Avalon" book).

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin