avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject [VOTE] De-Instrument Fortress, Pool (was: RE: Problem with asynchronous disposing in fortress)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 08:01:06 GMT
I'd like to call a vote for

 + removing instrumentation from Fortress and Pool.

 + removing it from GUMP.

Both of the above only temporarily.

Reasons:

 + Doesn't build. We've had daily GUMP complains for quite a while now,
and
   I am greeted with the following:

compile:
    [javac] Compiling 17 source files to
C:\Home\leo\private\Apache\jakarta-aval
on-excalibur\pool\build\classes
    [javac]
C:\Home\leo\private\Apache\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\pool\src\java\or
g\apache\avalon\excalibur\pool\ResourceLimitingPool.java:12: cannot
resolve symb
ol
    [javac] symbol  : class CounterInstrument
    [javac] location: package instrument
    [javac] import org.apache.excalibur.instrument.CounterInstrument;
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]
C:\Home\leo\private\Apache\jakarta-avalon-excalibur\pool\src\java\or
g\apache\avalon\excalibur\pool\ResourceLimitingPool.java:13: cannot
resolve symb
ol
    ... AND SO ON ...

    [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
    [javac] 23 errors

 + I don't think that a supposedly production-quality package such as
   Fortress should be dependent on something as flaky as Instrument.

 + Not maintained. The instrument package has sort of fallen between
   chairs. Day after day we get GUMP complaints, and nothing is fixed.
   This indicates that the package isn't used, or isn't maintained by
   anyone. If this is because the author has a temporary hectic time
   or whatever isn't important - the end result is that depending on
   this package just isn't a very safe bet anymore.

I am willing to do the de-instrumentation (just comment it out) and fix
the
async disposal bug, but as it is now I don't have the hours it takes to
fix
the build and then fix the async bug.

/LS