avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon-excalibur/component/src/java/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/component ExcaliburComponentManager.java
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 02:02:38 GMT
> From: Vincent Massol [mailto:vmassol@octo.com]
>
> Thanks Leif. I had been waiting for this change for a long
> time ... May I suggest a little change ?
>
> final String message = "Could not find component for role ["
> + role + "]";
>
> This is a practice I have been following for a while and it
> has always paid of as problems with spaces in names are very
> difficult to diagnosis ... :-)

Just to let you know, your change basically forced the string
concatentation and extra StringBuffer to be created for *every*
error, whether you were logging in debug mode or not.

The ComponentException encapsulates the name of the role separately,
so there is no real need to put that in the exception message.
If it helps, the getMessage() method of the ComponentException
can do the concatenation for you--and it would only occur when
necessary.