avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [RT] pooling vs. release
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 17:48:56 GMT
> From: Berin Loritsch
>
> The component has no clue when it was obtained.  It shouldn't, and
such
> a hack would cause more issues than it would solve.

Agree - it should be done via proxies as you describe.

> From: Torsten Curdt [mailto:tcurdt@dff.st]
>
> > If the component has a short lifetime then perhaps you could use a
> > timer thread (debugging only obviously) that starts screaming if a
> > component is not recycled/released in less than x seconds.
>
> I would need to guess how long the component will be used...
> That's the worst hack I could think of ;-)

It is also inherently ambiguous (probably violates IOC too):

  /**
   * When it is the programmer's fault.
   */
  class WriteFasterCodeException extends RuntimeException {...}

  /**
   * When HotSpot is to blame. (Will automatically email Sun's
   * development team as well.) Note that it extends Error and
   * thus should not be caught by the application.
   */
  class GoFasterError extends VirtualMachineError {...}

Seriously, though, it could be useful when you have a scarce resource
and you think some part of the system is holding on to it a bit too
long.

/LS