avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject [BIG PROBLEM]: Order of component initialization
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 14:22:19 GMT
Hi,

in Cocoonland we have a simple problem which prevents
us currently from releasing the new version :(

The problem is the order of initialization of components or
to be more precise the initialization of the DefaultHandler resp
the DefaultComponentFactory.

We have the following scenario: a database component which is Startable
and a database connection refering to the database.

Now in the Cocoon xconf where all components are defined is the database
located before the database connection, but unfortunately the connection
is initialized before the datbase which makes the connection unusable.

The problem is the BucketMap, the ExcaliburComponentManager uses
to store the handlers. The handlers are entered into the bucket map
in the order they appear in the xconf, but during initialization a
Set is used to fetch these handlers and then they are processed more
or less in an arbitrary order which is not controllable at all.
They great think about this, is that the order is currently JDK dependant
as the used Set seems to be implemented different in 1.3 and 1.4.

Now, does anyone see a good solution for this in Excalibur?
I think a logical implementation would be to initialize the components
in the order they are configured.

If there is no solution in Excalibur we must see what we can do in Cocoon,
but currently I see no good solution there. And a dependecy between
components
might be a common thing.

Regards
Carsten