avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ISSUE] containerkit
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:47:54 GMT
At 04:26 AM 7/4/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>>I have no problem with that - it can't hurt me if it is container
>>specific. Stephen however wants to force everyone else to adopt his model.
>

>No I don't - all I'm asking for is the hook.
>What I want is that you add the following operation to ComponentMetaData:
>
>     /**
>      * Returns the context object for the component.
>      * @param parent the parent context
>      * @return the context object to be supplied
>      */
>      public Context getContext( Context parent )
>     {
>          return context;
>     }

* which of course will only be used by Merlin.
* which also changes a passive object into an active object
* which could be implemented in Merlin without effecting any of the other
containers

>>The problem is Stephen wants add it to ComponentMetaData and thus force
>>all containers to use a single method for constructing context - despite
>>the fact that this wont work in any existing container except Merlin ....
>>hmmm.
>

>NO NO NO &%#####**!£$%^&
>
>I would like to see different containers using containerkit.  I would
>prefer that the center of interoperability is based on containerkit. I've
>provided several examples of why containerkit breaks this for existing
>components and goes against the general component model as
>documeted.  I've provided info on how an implementation can address this
>accused of of having an IQ in the single digit range, accused of strange
>and amazing anti-component practices, I'm now accused of attempting to
>force a solution!  Please keep in mind that your objection to the original
>proposal of a accessor to context was on the grounds that (a) it was
>exclusively a container concern, following which you raised the assertion
>was made that it was impossible anyway (leading to a lot of explanitory
>emails explaining how it is possible).

Containerkit is about consolidating practices in containerkit. What you
propose is not common through containers, and can be implemented fine in
any particular container. You notice there is also no
ConfiguurationSchema/ParametersSchema or LoggerMetaData or anything like that.

>I've proposed an operation to be added to ComponentMetaData above.
>Are you going to commit it or am I?

You can. I will promptly delete it though.

Cheers,

Peter Donald
everyone gets busy on the proof."
              - John Kenneth Galbraith