avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [lang] Submission of Avalon.Excalibur.ThreadContext
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:34:12 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:41, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>>One major issue for me is that it is a framework, it has one
>>>central class ThreadContext and it is expected that
>>>developers will supply their own implementation of a
>>>ThreadPolicy. I'm not sure if this is always necessary or if
>>>in most cases it functions on its own, it seems to always be
>>>necessary.
>>

> At this stage it is partially necessary. There is a fairly basic
> implementation of the policy I believe. However there is a few "complete"
> implementations that can/will be moved back in time (at least when they
> stabilize). At which point it will not really be frameworky at all.

Makes sense.

> However I would recomend holding of moving threadcontext as it is not stable
> and still subject to change in future - possibly in backwards incompatible
> ways.

Threadcontext isn't really part af the
framework-containers-components-serverapps Avalon subdivision that's
taking place.

Since Commons sandbox is exactly for possibly common components that
still need to mature, I guess that we could still move it there and keep
working on it as if it were here... but with the advantage of having it
already in a common place where others can look at it and eventually
help making it better.
I think that this is the best policy.

Basically, take the excalibur left-hand menu.

- Containers -> stay in excalibur
- Components -> new cornerstone
- Resource Managers -> dunno
- Testing and Analysis -> dunno
- Utilities -> *all* to commons (except the ones improperly here)

This is how I see the new excalibur, what do you think?
What should we do about Resource Managers? Make them just
new-cornerstone components?
Testing and Analysis can just remain part of excalibur.

Comments?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -