avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Component Initialization (was RE: Fortres: async/sync init)
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:41:48 GMT

Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>>> From: Marcus Crafter [mailto:crafterm@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net]
>>>     Berin - is this the direction we should be heading with Fortress
>>>     (ie. automatic dependency resolution, etc).
>>>
>>>     I've got the code together to be able to specify a handlers
>>>     initialization policy via an 'activation' attribute, similar to
>>>     what Steven did with Merlin. Should I go ahead and commit this ?
>>>     or should we discuss it further ?
>>
>> I do want to go in one direction for specifying component dependencies
>> and meta-info.  Truth be told, the RoleManager's chief role is to enable
>> the specification of meta info.  The Fortress design allows us to
>> reverse
>> engineer the configuration so that if the user specified the old style
>> <component/> entry, we could convert it to a more friendly name.
>>
>> That said, I do want Merlin and Fortress to converge on one way of
>> specifying components, and their initialization policy.  That will take
>> away the 90% of the need to create our own containers.  That way, the
>> main difference between Merlin and Fortress will be the Async/Sync
>> component management policies, and the support for lifecycle extension.
>>
>> BTW, What is your feeling on lifecycle extension?  Is it something that
>> we can propose for ContainerKit
>
> I'll have to dig before given you an opinion.

Pleeeease put them in :-)

>> and make it easier for all containers
>> to support it?  Stephen, what is your feeling on it?
>>

> I would like explore a Merlin/Fortress merger.  Merlin content on the
> Kernel/Container/Meta-Data layers, Fortress content on the handlers,
> lifecycle extensions and probably more that I'm not up to speed with
> yet.  There's stuff in-between that would need discussion simply to get
> a better picture of where the boundaries and relationships are.
>
> Thoughts ?

Yay!

It seems that Fortress and Merlin2 are complementary... if we put
Fortress as the major Merlin Container, it would be a killer!

It would basically mean that finally Avalon would become at least a
duopoly, ie "Merlin's Fortress" and "Phoenix".

What would happen then...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -