avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: Component Initialization (was RE: Fortres: async/sync init)
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:06:48 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

>>From: Marcus Crafter [mailto:crafterm@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net]
>>
>>	Berin - is this the direction we should be heading with Fortress
>>	(ie. automatic dependency resolution, etc).
>>
>>	I've got the code together to be able to specify a handlers
>>	initialization policy via an 'activation' attribute, similar to
>>	what Steven did with Merlin. Should I go ahead and commit this ?
>>	or should we discuss it further ?
>>

>I do want to go in one direction for specifying component dependencies
>and meta-info.  Truth be told, the RoleManager's chief role is to enable
>the specification of meta info.  The Fortress design allows us to
>reverse
>engineer the configuration so that if the user specified the old style
><component/> entry, we could convert it to a more friendly name.
>
>That said, I do want Merlin and Fortress to converge on one way of
>specifying components, and their initialization policy.  That will take
>away the 90% of the need to create our own containers.  That way, the
>main difference between Merlin and Fortress will be the Async/Sync
>component management policies, and the support for lifecycle extension.
>
>BTW, What is your feeling on lifecycle extension?  Is it something that
>we can propose for ContainerKit

I'll have to dig before given you an opinion.

>and make it easier for all containers
>to support it?  Stephen, what is your feeling on it?

I would like explore a Merlin/Fortress merger.  Merlin content on the
Kernel/Container/Meta-Data layers, Fortress content on the handlers,
lifecycle extensions and probably more that I'm not up to speed with
yet.  There's stuff in-between that would need discussion simply to get
a better picture of where the boundaries and relationships are.

Thoughts ?

Just for reference, I've updated a lot of the documentation on Merlin so
getting a better idea of how Merlin is doing its stuff should be easier.

   http://home.osm.net/doc/merlin

Cheers, Steve.

>--

Stephen J. McConnell