avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Docs Cleanup
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:56:28 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> We have no less than three different styles for Avalon.  This is
> confusing.
> There is the modified Jakarta skin, the default centipede skin, and
> Phoenix's Maven like skin.

I like the avalon-site skin and the modified maven one.

> Honestly, the Jakarta skin and the Maven skin are more pleasing to the
> eye,
> but the breadcrumb trail in the centipede skin is a great addendum.  The
> big
> thing is that we need the breadcrumb trail to be smarter.  For instance,
> the breadcrumb trail for the Fortress package looks like this:
>
> apache >jakarta >avalon
>
> Instead it should look like this:
>
> apache > jakarta > avalon > excalibur > fortress
>
> We should come up with one skin and live with it.  I like the clean
> separation
> of the menu and the content of the maven skin, but menu takes up too
> much
> room.  Both the Jakarta and the Maven skin suffer from the big blocks
> for the
> header titles.  I like the simpler headers in the content of the
> Centipede
> skin.
>
> What would really be cool is if we had the Maven skin with less room
> taken
> for the menu, and the header style of the centipede skin, and the fixed
> version of the breadcrumb trail.

This is a nice proposal.

To make a new skin, anyone can just check it in the jakarta-avalon and
test it with the -Duse.skin=XXX trick.

To see how to write a skin, the basic skin is there for this purpose.

Personally this doesn't give me an itch, the avalon-site skin is ok for
me, but if someone makes up an image with the possible view made from
the combination of the skins, it would be easy to make it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -