avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Doc Building: What are we doing?
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:37:08 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>>
>>Peter Donald wrote:
>>
>>>Nope. Anakia works now and is faster and easier to use. No way I am
>>>going back
>>>to broken city.
>>
>>I'm porting all to Cocoon.
>>If you are not able to use Cocoon, it's not my fault.
>>There is no way I'm moving to Anakia.
>
> Guys, the last thing I want to do is get in a pissing contest over
> document
> generation.  My points are two-fold:
>
> 1) Any documentation generation change MUST be voted on ESPECIALLY when
> it alters the source code (xdocs).
>
> 2) Since Cocoon (one of my favorite technologies) isn't solving our
> needs elegantly, I am open to try something new.

You're a Cocoon committer ;-)

> However my personal feelings are this:
>
> * If it forces us to change our source code then -1.  I don't care what
> the technology is, we had agreed a while ago to standardize on DocBook.
> Anything that is more presentation oriented than semantic oriented, I have to
> veto.
>
> * Change the stylesheet not the source.  There is a fundamental flaw in
> thinking,
>   "Hmm, XYZ tool is so much faster, let me change my source code into a
> mindnumbing
>   form of HTML so that I am roped into one way of representing my site
> and never
>   allowing it to be changed."  I am seriously against this.
>
> SO, if we use Anakia, change the templates to work with our source
> instead of change the source to work with anakia.

Let me make it clear: Forrest is making simple DTD that is not
presentation oriented, that can do what we need.

Forrest will make different skins, (well, it already does), and will
make automatic site updates.

I already made a maven cent that uses the Forrest dtd with Maven's
Anakia to generate docs.

So there is no problem.
Solution: Continue with current DTD with the faster cocoon we have now,
upgrade to Forrest final DTD, use Forrest for automatic generation and
what the user-developers wants to generate locally.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -