avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Doc Building: What are we doing?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:30:27 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>>
>>Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>>However it is something worthy of a vote on Avalon-Dev.
>>
>>Present your
>>
>>>arguments for or against.
>>
>>Cocoon gives you more flexibility, but it's heavier. Have you
>>tried the
>>latest Cocoon I put in, it's much faster than the one you used before.
>
> It's been a while before I updated Cocoon.
>
>>On the other hand Anakia gives you speed. I personally don't
>>give a damn
>>about speed, since I use a validating XML editor, so I
>>generate the docs
>>only once a day. Have to generate the docs just to see how it
>>comes out
>>sucks big time. Wasn't it all about content-view separation? Then
>>concentrate on the content.
>>
>>I prefer to have Cocoon, and I think that the current one
>>works ok for
>>my needs, present and future.
>

> Ok.  How stable is it?  How easy is it to integrate with what we
> have?

The avalon module has it in itself already.
As for excalibur, try the Tweety doc build, and look in that to see how
it's  done-reused.

>>A suggestion: in Centipede, I can use Maven's Anakia to generate the
>>documentation. In this way Cocoon is used for the real site, Maven's
>>Anakia for the ones that want speed in the doc writing cycle
>>and don't
>>use validating parsers.
>>
>>On the top of this, Forrest uses Cocoon and we're getting ready to
>>support builds of Apache sites. The Forrest site is
>>autogenerated every
>>hour and published automatically to http://www.krysalis.org/forrest/ .
>>
>>I really hope we will use Forrest.
>

> I honestly care primarily about the end result at this point.  All I
> know
> is that some Avalon projects are using one thing, and supposedly other
> projects are using something else.  I don't recall seeing anything
> official
> for direction in this area beyond when I first introduced Cocoon.

And IIRC there was consensus for Cocoon, but I may be wrong.
I think that Peter uses Anakia because he wasn't able to use supplied
Cocoon, and that it's a temporary thing.

> I don't want the build environment confused anymore than necessary.
>
> Is the report true?  Do we have some Avalon projects using Anakia and
> others
> using Cocoon?  If so stop it, and lets vote on the subject.  If it is
> true,
> I -1 the action, vetoeing it until we come up with a solution.
>
> We need one doc building solution.

I brought this up when you were away and IIRC Peter needed an interim
solution to continue working.

AFAIK we're reverting to Cocoon now.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -