avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: Assembly et al?
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 02:08:09 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Do you plan to decouple the auto-assembly from Merlin? I need it for
> whatr I am doing and would prefer to use existing code.

What I'm doing is breaking out differnt functional units - auto assembly
being one of them. The assembly stuff based on containerkit is under the
Excalibur Assembly package - it contains:

   - org.apache.excalibur.merlin.registry

       This is where the real work goes on in terms of building
       the implicit associations

   - orga.apache.excalibur.merlin.kernel

       This is the stuff related to container hierachies.

For now I havn't done anything related to actual component instantiation
or dependency resolution from parent containers.  In pricipal - the
result should be a set of service jar files from which different level
of logical functinality can be pulled out and used indendently of a top
level merlin kernel.

Steve.

> Cheers,
>
> Peter Donald
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "Faced with the choice between changing one's mind,
> and proving that there is no need to do so - almost
> everyone gets busy on the proof."
>              - John Kenneth Galbraith
> For additional commands, e-mail:

Stephen J. McConnell