avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@osm.net>
Subject Re: organisation of avalon subprojects
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:17:00 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:28, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>Peter Donald wrote:

>>>...snip...
>>>
>>...unsnip....
>>
>> <component-info>
>>   <context type="MyContextInterface">
>>       <entry key="base" type="java.io.File"/>
>>   </context>
>> </component-info>
>>
>>>As you point out - it is a Merlin specific issue - no other containers
>>>have this "need". As I said before it is quite easy to create a
>>>MerlinComponentMetaData if you want.
>>>
>>Correction - this is a componet portability issue.
>>

>Right. If you are using a container specific Context then it is likely that
>the components is .... container specific? ie You use CocoonContext then you
>have to assume that component writer has decided to limit the component to
>cocoon.

Wrong.

As long as a component declares in a containerkit metainfo context
descriptor that it requires a context implementing a particular
interface or must provide particular typed entries, then that's a
contract it is declaring to the container. If you don't like that then
drop the ContrextDescriptor from the meta model. Merlin will include it
as a meta info extension in order to meet the needs and interests of all
of the other brain dead set of developers who's metal capacity is too
limited and must struggle onwards in the endless and pathetic pursuit of
the interpretation of the Avalon framework documentation.

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL