avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Improving Lifecycle Extensions
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:53:47 GMT
On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 11:38:07AM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Ok.  For the purpose of this discussion--to avoid confusion--let's use
> the following definitions:
>
> user -- the person using the application.  i.e. the person that clicks
>         a link in a browser that makes a request, or the person that
>         presses a button on a SWING GUI.
>
> client -- the code that uses a component.  Analogous to client/server
>           concept.

	ok.

> > 	Ok, so following this, each SM passed into service() has its own
> > 	session store, which is passed to the LifecycleExtension
> > 	implementor for sharing data. Multiple components used by the same
> > 	client (client component) will share the same session, allowing
> > 	data to be shared across multiple invocations of the
> > 	same LifecycleExtensions object.
> >
> > 	hmm.. is that right ? perhaps we should get together a little
> > 	example to make sure I've understood it correctly ?
>
> Yep, that's right.  In essence, you can have a pool of components with
> the same configuration information, and each instance will act as if it
> were the last one you communicated with.  It provides the illusion of
> threadsafety to the user.

	Ok. Glad we're on the same wavelength now.

> Pretty much.  Now, there are some implications.  If we have one Map
> per client, that map should probably be used for all components.  That
> way we can have the User object stored by another component, and used
> by this one.
>
> There are probably more things to work out, but we won't know what they
> are until we start using it.

	Yes. Ok, I'll flesh out some code based on what we've discussed
	and send it in, then we can go over and pick at it to see if anything
	more needs to be done to make it more usable.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: