avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: Component Initialization (was RE: Fortres: async/sync init)
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:07:37 GMT
On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 09:25:28PM +0200, Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
> >The Servlet spec has something that I think would be even more
> >powerful:
> >
> >   <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
> >
> >I personally would turn it into an attribute, but this has two
> >benefits:
> >
> >1) Familiarity with terminology used in another component architecture
> >  (servlets).
> >
> >2) Allow the container to order the components based on a priority
> >  number.
>
> Eeek - no!
> The sequencing of component loading should be based on dependecy
> declarations.  All we need is to be able to say if a component is acting
> as a server or not - if its a server then instantiate the sucker on
> startup otherwise get it when its needed.  A startup policy on the
> component is effictely declaring if its a server - in which case
> startign it will implicity start all of the dependents.

	I tend to agree, even though fortress doesn't yet have the
	dependency resolution code in it. When it is added, it would be
	good if handlers were initialized in their correct order
	automatically.

	Berin - is this the direction we should be heading with Fortress
	(ie. automatic dependency resolution, etc).

	I've got the code together to be able to specify a handlers
	initialization policy via an 'activation' attribute, similar to
	what Steven did with Merlin. Should I go ahead and commit this ?
	or should we discuss it further ?

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: