avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Officially Deprecate ComponentManager and friends?
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:18:12 GMT
On Saturday 20 July 2002 22:41, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I go through and make sure that all the remaining
> > excalibur components are
> > Serviceable rather than Composable can I deprecate
> > ComponentManager and
> > friends? All the containers now support Serviceable
> > components so that should
> > not be a problem. Any objections?
>
> -1 based on the few reasons you gave:
>
> What does a @deprecated tag mean?

Dont use it because it is bad !

>  + If the deprecation means "this interface will not exist
>    in Avalon 4.2" then I'm -1 on it - too fast. I think
>    we have to support it until A5.

We don't break backwards compaability except on major versions. It will be
around for a long time yet.

>  + Any project using A4 and Composable will get massive
>    amounts of deprecation warnings for really no good
>    reason. Imagine compiling a system that has been
>    build with CM/Composable. You get a gazillion deprecation
>    warnings and it is just not fun anymore.

We already deprecated Loggable for much the same reason. Why do you see
Comopsable as any different?

> Don't use @deprecated to indicate what we recommend against
> using - just use it for things that will actually *disappear*
> in the next release/version (4.2?).

We dont disapear interfaces and if we just recomend in javadocs no one will
listen but if we deprecate class people will listen.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald