avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: status of doc generation
Date Sat, 27 Jul 2002 08:26:18 GMT
On Sat, 2002-07-27 at 06:49, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 01:58, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > So, Peter, how does this look.
> > Is it ok for you?
> >
> > Is there something missing?
>
> No idea - havent checked yet - though I notice that the website is still
> looking fairly crap so I can't say I am inspired.

It's always looked 'fairly crap'. I've made changes you can probably
only see for now when you do a 'hard refresh' (SHIFT+F5 I think). When
we move to a forrest skin things will change. There's prerequisites for
this though we have to deal with first.

> I'll reiterate what I want again.
>
> * Simple task to call so I can have different pipelines (changes vs normal
> document vs faqs) work.

could you elaborate? You want to generate changes using a different task
or a different task configuration? Seems to me like it is way easier to
just have a single task that does all your docs.

> * I want to be able to include/exclude files based on ant includes/ecludes

it is either this or a link crawling machine. Link crawling has other
advantages....should be relatively simple to do though.

> * I want only the files that have been changed to be updated

Nicola's working on it

> * I want zero copying about

Nicola's working on it

> * I want 15 second build time max

Which is impossible to guarantee but latest cocoon is quite fast

> * I want to be able to have all the links in menu to be relative to base of
> site, not base of page they are in. SO I can put docs in bdg/foo.xml and has
> all links work gracefully

so you mean the base for the reference of links in /phoenix/bdg/menu.xml
should be /phoenix and not /phoenix/bdg?

I'm not too happy with that, I think. I like the idea that each
subdirectory is a separate 'documentation subproject'.

> * I want no dates or build specific data to be stored in generated docs
> (because causes pain when updating online docs).

+1

> * I want nice output. Similar to ...
> [cocoon] Generating doc: foo.html
> [cocoon] Generating doc: bdg/foo.html
> [cocoon] Error Generating doc: bar.html (<a> on line 15 must be terminated
> with a </>)

+1

> One thing that I have not said before but I would like to have is the
> following. I would like to be able to add in a construct like
>
> <code-link class="org.apache.avalon.framework.Version">the Version</code-link>

> or <code-link class="org.apache.avalon.framework.Version"/> (which defaults
> to using short classname as text for link). This would then link to the
> appropriate uri for class javadoc. I would like it to work in a way similar
> to javadoc links. So you can have multiple api base dirs (ie phoenix docs
> could link to framework code).

+1.

An option that is probably a lot easier to implement is to create
/avalon/api that has all the apidocs for all of avalon. Otherwise you'd
have to create and maintain some sort of mapping between source packages
and API links.

> |  Egoism is the drug that soothes the pain of stupidity.   |

LOL!

cheers,

- Leo