avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Butchered website?
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:37:04 GMT
On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 02:33, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can people be a little more careful when updating the website. Someone has
> gone and butchered it .... yet again. Have a look at
> /avalon/excalibur/extension - not long ago it was working fine. If you are
> not willing to do a proper job then please dont do anything at all.

:/

This is not just the breadcrumbs script; it is the general tigris skin
as well. While the various pieces use the standards correctly, when you
throw them in together they can break in various places.

I sent out some screenshots earlier of the turbine site in netscape 4,
and this seems to be the exact same problem.

> Please dont update a website unless it is working and DONT break it for no
> apparent reason.

While I wasn't able to reproduce the problem in konqueror 3.0.0-12 (the
one that comes with RH7.3), I did reproduce it using NS4. See
screenshot.

The only way to be relatively sure the tigris skin works (though not for
NS4) is to not use javascripts at all. I therefore suggest that any
project that uses that skin either moves away from it or does not use
the breadcrumb script.

> The stylesheets also seems to be fubarred. The background of the content
> pane is sometimes grey, sometimes half-grey and sometimes got grey square
> in left hand corner in IE5.
>
> So how long are we going to have to put up with this?

until either one of:

a) browser manufacturers all support standards and all browsers are no
longer used

or

b) we use HTML 3.2 with JavaScript 1.1 and only minimal CSS (font
properties, nothing more/less)

or

c) every time a small change is made to a skin the committer tests it in
11 different browsers, and apparantly a gazillion versions of those at
that (as this particular problem occurs with konqueror 3.0.2 but not
with 3.0.0-12)

happens.

I am supportive of either just expect (a) and do all-but-full
standards-comformance like I did with the skin POI uses now, but in a
way that allows 'lesser' browsers like NS4 to still be at least used, or
of (b) like forrest does.

Our current setup with our
hack-of-maven-hack-of-tigris-with-most-ugly-css in the world is (c).
It's not my choice, but I'll live with it. Just don't complain so loudly
when something breaks every now and then.

cheers,

- Leo