avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject [vote] [Fwd: CVS tag names]
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2002 08:32:16 GMT
proposal: follow the naming convention for cvs tag names proposed below
by Peter West and updating our naming convention document to reflect
these changes.

+1

- Leo Simons

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Peter B. West <pbwest@powerup.com.au>
To: committers <committers@apache.org>
Subject: CVS tag names
Date: 20 Jul 2002 10:55:04 +1000

I made this suggestion a while ago on fop-dev, where it caused not a
ripple on the surface.

I would like to see a common approach to CVS tag names for two reasons;
firstly, to improve their ergonomics, and secondly to create the
possibility of better build accounting.

Ergonomics.  CVS is more restrictive than RCS in tag naming.  Tags must
be built from the set [A-Za-z0-9_-], which doesn't leave a lot of wiggle
room.  What we are tending to see is names like "fop-0_20_2-maint",
which I have always found slightly harder to recognise than
"fop_0-20-2_maint".  This may be purely individual, but I think that,
comparatively, "-" tends to glue things together and "_" tends to separate.

Build accounting.  Releases are associated with CVS tags, for obvious
reasons.  I want to see the possibility that the distribution build
process can guarantee, for at least all of the source files, that the
build contains only files with a particular, single tag.  (This implies
that each of those source files contains the $Name$ keyword.)  In a
make-based build, such a guarantee can be made fairly easily, but I am
not familiar enough with ant to make a corresponding assertion.  (I
would also like to see keyword values available to "ident" in the class
files, but that's another story.)

The idea would be that the $Name$ keyword value of build.xml becomes the
build ID, and the $Name$ value of all text files is checked against it.
  The "public face" of the distribution _could_ simply be the tag, or it
could be a predictably transformed version.  The tranformation rules are
simple.  "_" is always replaced with a space.  "-" between digits is
replaced with ".".  "--" between digits is replaced with "-".  All other
instances of "-" are unchanged.

In the case of the tag name above,
"fop_0-20-2_maint" becomes "fop 0.20.2 maint".
"FOP_Release_0-20-4RC1" becomes "FOP Release 0.20.4RC1".
"FOP_Nitro-0-20-4-Experimental" becomes "FOP Nitro-0.20.4-Experimental".

The "--" rule is to accommodate RPM style numbering, e.g., jikes-1.15-1.

Code to perform such transformations is available on the
FOP_0-20-0_Alt-Design branch of FOP in src/org/apache/fop/apps/Version.java.

Peter
--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://powerup.com.au/~pbwest
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"