avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject bad state of build process
Date Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:17:03 GMT
using a clean parallel checkout of all apache cvs modules on red hat 7.3
with ant 1.4.1 installed, with optional.jar and junit.jar in the ant ext
directory.

compilation
-----------
framework -- works
logkit    -- works
phoenix   -- works
cornerstone -- failure
apps      -- failure for some
excalibur -- failure for quite a few

javadocs
--------
framework -- works
logkit -- works
phoenix -- works
cornerstone -- failure
apps -- failure for some
excalibur -- failure for some

html docs
---------
framework -- with warnings
logkit    -- with warnings
phoenix   -- with warnings
cornerstone -- failure
apps      -- failure
excalibur -- failure for most, warnings for the rest

It would be nice if maintainers of the various packages could look do a
clean checkout, temporarily move any optional packages from the ant ext
dir except for junit and optional.jar, temporarily move any properties
files for ant in their home dirs, and then look at the load of errors.

It would also be nice if our in-house cocoon wizards could look at all
the various subprojects and subsubprojects that use cocoon to generate
html docs and figure out why it won't work. Especially before moving any
subproject that does not use cocoon for site generation over to it.

Frankly, I find it somewhat funny that we have all these veteran
software engineers around working on really complex software, yet we
never manage to have a consistent set of correct documentation around.
Documentation for avalon has been a priority for me for a long time now,
but there is too much under the avalon wings for me to maintain all of
it ;)