avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Corey Jewett <co...@triumphevents.com>
Subject Re: Using Fortress for new project
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 22:18:49 GMT
Disclaimer:

For what it's worth the following is what I've been doing. I'm still a
rookie at this too so if it's completely bogus I'm sure somebody will
let us know. Also I haven't used Fortress, but my understanding is that
Fortress is a container. My limited familiarity is with the
ExcaliburComponentManager (ECM) which is also a container, but it's
being phased out. The container provides the lifecycle maintenance and
the lookup mechanisms for your components.

The way I would implement your system is to create three components --
RawDataProvider, ComputedDataStore, and AbstractComputer.
AbstractComputer would be responsible for providing the generic
lifecycle of all Computer implementations. The generic lifecycle would
include obtaining a ServiceManager, or direct references to your DB
components. (Depending on Threading model.)

To use your components you would embed your container (Fortress) in your
application (CLI, GUI, etc.) and use lookup() to retrieve your specific
business component.

Corey