avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Corey Jewett <co...@triumphevents.com>
Subject RE: [ISSUE] containerkit
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 19:23:38 GMT
Trying to follow what's going on here it seems to me that Stephen wants
an ObjectConfiguration under the name Context. To me a context is a
frame of reference -- a description of how the world stands at an exact
point in time.

For example HttpRequest as a Servlet parameter. Wherein a specific
request is encapsulated and passed in to a method for processing. It
describes the who (session), what (data), where (path), why (inferred),
when (inferred), and how (method, i.e. GET/POST...).

Perhaps I'm missing the whole point here, but, IMHO, semantically
speaking an ObjectConfiguration is not a Context.

Since I've only been thinking of components as services which are
configured and then utilized I can only see a limited case where being
able to contextualize a component would make any sense. If a component
is single-threaded then the following lifecycle would make sense to me:

	lookup
	setContext (recontextualizing)
	myMethod
	release

If this is the case then why would setting a context be relevant to
Avalon at all? The caller would have specific knowledge that the
component supported contexts. The only exception I see would be
automatically recontextualizing a component based on metadata, but that
just seems plain convoluted.

Corey