avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Optional Dependencies
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:01:24 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
>
> It is unfortunate that ECMs lookup is costly. Does Fortresss
> have this problem
> aswell? Most containers I work with are little more than a hashlookup.

Nope!

Doing pure lookup invocations on ECM vs. Fortress under load from
several
threads has Fortress coming out ahead 15 to 1.

ECM's overhead has to do with all the logic to determine if the
component
is already set up, if it isn't, then set it up.  It is perticularly
expensive
on factory components and undersized pool components.  The reason is
that
the component has to go through full lifecycle on the spot.

ECM has been improved tremendously with Lief's pooling code, but it is
still
way more inefficient than Fortress.  Not to mention that ECM has longer
times
where we can have thread contention.