avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Doc Building: What are we doing?
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:27:14 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> Peter Donald wrote:
> >
> > Nope. Anakia works now and is faster and easier to use. No way I am
> > going back
> > to broken city.
>
> I'm porting all to Cocoon.
> If you are not able to use Cocoon, it's not my fault.
> There is no way I'm moving to Anakia.

Guys, the last thing I want to do is get in a pissing contest over
document
generation.  My points are two-fold:

1) Any documentation generation change MUST be voted on ESPECIALLY when
it
   alters the source code (xdocs).

2) Since Cocoon (one of my favorite technologies) isn't solving our
needs
   elegantly, I am open to try something new.

However my personal feelings are this:

* If it forces us to change our source code then -1.  I don't care what
the
  technology is, we had agreed a while ago to standardize on DocBook.
Anything
  that is more presentation oriented than semantic oriented, I have to
veto.

* Change the stylesheet not the source.  There is a fundamental flaw in
thinking,
  "Hmm, XYZ tool is so much faster, let me change my source code into a
mindnumbing
  form of HTML so that I am roped into one way of representing my site
and never
  allowing it to be changed."  I am seriously against this.

SO, if we use Anakia, change the templates to work with our source
instead of
change the source to work with anakia.